Following the dawn of democracy in Nepal in 1950 A.D., a well-conceived educational programme was launched. Teachers were trained on a massive scale and this centre came into existence in the shape of a small printing house with the objective of printing teacher training materials. That was in 1955. In the following year, it was combined with College of Education and given the name Bureau of Publication. Five years later, once more, it was rechristened with the name Educational Materials Organization and transferred to its present site at Sano Thimi. Finally in the year 1966, the name of the Epic king "Janak" was prefixed before its name and since then it has been known as Janak Education Materials Centre. During the span of five decades, this centre has undergone many organizational changes and functions.